Thursday, January 7, 2010

Am having a BBD (bad bipolar day) today.
Last night I felt really tired as I had not slept well the night before. For the last 3 weeks, I have halved my bipolar meds cocktail, however last night I took the full dose – and woke up feeling awful this morning.
HTB locked kitty out of the bedroom at midnight as apparently she was standing on my head meowing to get my attention – to which I was oblivious. He let her in at 7 am – as she was yowling outside our bedroom door – and I woke up having a massive hot flush with her sitting on my neck purring like an engine
I am so doped up from the meds – can’t really function to well – thank goodness I am doing mind numbing admin work for now.
HTB and I usually take turns to make supper – it was his turn last night. He has a repertoire of 3 recipes which consist of:
Pasta with pesto, anchovies, olives and onion
Rice with soak, tomatoes and onion
Salad loaded with onion and garlic
(He likes onion and garlic)
We had the rice option last night – not complaining – glad he can take turns with the cooking and any food that I have not prepared is delicious
I mentioned briefly earlier in the blog about our new years eve – however – here is the expanded version.
30/12/2009
We arrive in Prince Albert – very nice little town. We investigate the local campsite – HTB not impressed as it looks like a construction site. We head back to the main street and find self catering accommodation. Good accommodation as it has a plunge pool – very necessary in the hot karoo sun – so after unpacking we jump in with a cold cider each
We explore the town.
HTB is vacillating between wanting to stay or push off the next day. Im quite keen to stay as I think that spending new years eve in Prince Albert in the pool with ciders is a good option – followed by langarm dancing in the local pub to see the new year in.
31/12/2009
HTP decides he wants to trek to Koffifontein(???) to see an Italian prisoner of war internment camp with murals painted by the Italian POW’S.
I begrudgingly agree. We duly drive to Koffiefontein and arrive there in the late afternoon.
The town entrance has a huge gold coffee pot pouring water into a huge gold cup and saucer.
No one knows anything about the internment camp. HTB drives to the police station, where one policeman can tell him that the internment camp has been dismantled but the murals have been preserved and they are opposite the gold coffee pot and cup/saucer fountain.
HTB articulates a few expletives because the internment camp is no longer – however we find the murals. He is very excited – Im not so – there are just two murals – one of Il Duce (Mussolini) and one of the last Italian King. HTB duly photographs said murals – we decide to head for Bloem, as apart from the murals, there is nothing in Koffiefontein – not even koffie!! Surely Bloem will be more exciting and we can find a restaurant to have a few drinks and a nice meal to see the New Year in.
We set our GPS and head of to Bloem. On the outskirts of Bloem we see a sign for a caravan park – good start. We pull in and find they have reasonable self-catering units – so we book in for the night.
We then head off to explore the nightspots of Bloem. HTB wants to go the waterfront – a waterfront in Bloem – apparently called Loch Logan???
We set the GPS to find said destination – however – GPS does not know that there are major road works and keeps on directing us to the same roads that are closed. Then GPS sends us on an alternate route through the worst part of Bloem that was full of prossies and bad looking types.
I start to get nervous – our car is loaded with nice camping gear – we drive around for about an hour when we find the Mimosa mall. It is now 9pm. All the restaurants are closed – even the Wimpy and Spur. We find a Nandos that is still open – it is rather full – with all the foreigners in Bloem – there were Congolese, Bangladeshis and Israeli’s.
We order take away chicken strips and rice and a beer each and head back to our accommodation.
I am resisting the urge to say “I told you that we should have stayed in Prince Albert for New Years Eve”
We arrive at our caravan park (now 9.30 pm) and everyone in the entire camp is already asleep in bed.
So we quietly get in to our room – eat our take out Nandos meal. Once supper is finished – I have a shower and hop into bed. Didn’t make it to midnight – was asleep by 11.
HTB stayed up till midnight – he reported in the morning that he did not hear on firecracker go off.
Clearly – Bloemfonteiners do no celebrate the New Year.
01/01/2010
New years day – we survived Bloem. We have coffee and rusks then head off to the Drakensberg.
On the way we stop at Clarens and have a slap up breakfast – then we arrive at Royal Natal and the sun is shining!!

No comments:

Post a Comment